Monday, June 23, 2008

Long or Short

So how self-involved can one individual be, we are about to find out.

Every 3 years or so I see someone with a particular haircut and I think I should try it. So I trot to the salon and get my hair done, I say something akin to "blunt cut, page boy, bob" you get the idea? Now for the last 3 years my erstwhile friend Jaysa has run interference with my stylist Cristal. Jaysa firmly believes my hair looks better long (a la the photo to the right on this blog). But Jaysa moved and I saw the cut on someone somewhere and told Cristal to "do it!" Its going to be hot, I have a lot of out doors work this summer, get it off my neck! She did exactly as I asked, when I turned to see my reflection, it was the cut but my face. .well I instantly said "Cristal you did exactly what I wanted, I just have to remember I hate this cut on myself, I do this every 3-4 years!"

So I hated it for a week, then I went to the office. The response was instantly positive and two people wanted Cristal's number. I regarded it again, it's growing on me. But is it better long or short? This is where you all can help me out by voting in the poll below, that's right a poll!


Short like here or long like the blog photo?


Wiles girls in Boston

My sister Toni and her family visited Boston this last weekend. I made a joint visit with them and my friend David who lives in Maine. We walked all about the Copley Square area. It turned out to be a good idea as I'd used a hotel in that area in my forthcoming novel and I had a significant detail all wrong! I also got to catch up with a longtime/old SF pal, Julia Wolfe. I have other friends in Boston whom I didn't have a chance to contact my apologies but it was a last minute/quick trip, one I shall make again I am sure.

An interesting moment in Boston was after I parted from my family, I walked along Boyleston street back to my hotel. I was approached by two women with long dull black hair in black salon smocks. They asked, "would you be interested in having your hair done?" My eyed widened, a hand went up to my newly minted and heralded doo and I shrieked, "I just had it done. . .in Manhattan!" They seemed surprised. twits.
My neices Mikayla and Emily and Dad Michael with Catie Copley, the former seeing-eye dog of the Copley Plaza Hotel.

Julia enjoys a 3-olive dry martini

9 comments:

Giulia said...

I voted long. But it sure is easier in the summer to care for a shorty.

You know you can deduct that entire Boston trip for research purposes.

Three olive martini, huh? Displaces too much. I always get mine on the side. Heh heh heh.

RJ said...

Excellent points. :)

Anonymous said...

Girl, It is good to change it up every so often. I go with color myself but, the long short thing works too. Afterall, variety is the spice of life. For the poll, I voted short. I noticed days ago and just got to tell you today that I loved it on you. : ) Live it up my friend. EPA er

Anonymous said...

I checked out your blog the new haircut is great you look up to date (not that you weren't before) and NYish. The Boston people were twits I agree.

Charcar

Anonymous said...

What a fun time I had with you guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was just great to see you - and to hang out with you and David

Julia

Anonymous said...

Short is winning, yay!

Fran/Midnight

RJ said...

Actually as of 7:13 pm on 6/24.. .1 vote ahead in the LONG department!

RJ said...

today still one ahead in the LONG department . .. gosh does this mean i look good (or crappy) with any haircut?

Heather H. said...

After much contemplation [cough]...I think you look good with either the longer or shorter hairdo. I voted "short," but then I'm a short-hair type of person...
What it comes down to is what you're most comfortable with and what works with your lifestyle.

For years I had long hair and bangs (well, when I was little and into my early teens) but I have coarse hair with no body so I started wearing it shorter and grew out my bangs. It was just easier for me to maintain and whatnot...and now, despite protests from certain family members I hacked the rest of it off so now it's really short...

Anyway, the moral of this story is: the airheads you ran into were twits to the nth degree and you look fabulous however you style your red locks.

Hugs,
Heather H.