Monday, May 12, 2008

Googling Myself?

Googling TM? Myself

So recently, I was told “I googled you”. And I thought, well I’ve googled myself, I know what you found. When googling my name you generally get information on three women, (1) myself (EPA junk and Grayson stuff); (2) genealogy info on a woman in the 1870s; and, (3) Rebecca Jemison who in 2003 won the MegaMillions lotto for $162m. I received a great deal of email when the 3rd RJ won all that money, it was soon after I moved to NY—I think people thought some jig was up! Alas the 3rd RJ is a lovely and now über-rich tall, African American woman. Oh and her name is spelled Jemison not Jamison but it still comes up on Google. I do wonder though, if one RJ has already won a lotto does that decrease my 1 in 10,000,000 chances?

So I shared my ‘googling’ myself with a friend. She thought it odd. And then I informed her I even have a Google alert on my own name. She thought that odder still, perhaps a tad egotistical. Well hey, I’ve been misquoted and copyright infringement on my work was nearly a problem until I nipped it in the bud. So the Google alerts help keep track of that kind of stuff—and it has given me a potential idea for my next major writing endeavor after I submit the novel later this summer.

So Google yourself and see what comes up.

Atlanta Showtime!


L to R: Unknown individual? Mimi festive with St Patty Clovers and Matthew

I was in Atlanta for a work event a little bit back. It happened to be the day AFTER the tornado. People milled about all startled at the glass on the street. No one was hurt and I understand there was minimal damage (glass, roofing). I was asked what I thought. I furrowed my brow and said, “Listen, I’m from Kansas, tornados fall from the sky all the time, duck and cover! This is nothing, remember Greenburg, Kansas—well yeah you have to remember it cuz its now gone!”

One night I took my entourage (that would be Matt and Mimi) to a lovely dinner in Lafayette, GA at a former co-worker’s home, the crazy Ben Singh! Ben and his wife, Miriam hosted us with flair! Their ‘show’ dining room where they seldom eat is the size of my crackerbox NYC apartment but I sadly digress. Matthew took the photos below of myself and Mimi in the Atlanta underground en route to the dinner. Matthew is Dr. Small, hydro-geologist extraordinaire and musical savant. He used to carry his bass on his back to the San Francisco office before gigs. It was always an odd and amusing sight. Anyway, Matt decided to snap some photos of the interesting rock faces of the Atlanta underground. The tunnels were blasted and then dug out and not refaced, so you can observe the actual geology under Atlanta.


L to R: Mimi and Moi

After taking the photo of me and Mimi, a security officer came to Matt and said “If you take one more photo I’ll have to confiscate your camera.” Bulging eyes, nervous smiles. Serious guy, we’re scientist types just interested in the rock! He was actually quite gracious toward Matt in the end but if we’d continued our geologic-photo interest we woulda needed a permit! Post- 9/11.

Inspecting Funeral Homes


Well, I had hoped to have a juicy story here for everyone but it went blandly like this.

Me: Where do you dispose of the bodily fluids, the embalming waste?

Funeral Home Director: In the Bloodbox. You want some tea?

Me: how long you been doing that? No thank you (on the tea).

FHD: Since I was told to and dug up my system, here's the letter certifying everything. Seriously it’s Earl Grey you sure you don’t want some?

Okay that was that. No findings. He’d done what he was directed to do! Miracle! He wasn’t polluting the drinking water of Long Island with formaldehyde! This wasn’t like my 2006 inspections where they had to move bodies behind curtains so I could inspect rooms where I saw trickles of blood on the floor. Ewwwwwwww! And I don't like Earl Grey tea, Lady Grey okay or Bengal Spice. Has anyone else noticed no more Bengal Spice in the stores? what's up with that?



Upcoming: Chen drags me to see Gypsy. How many times can I take in one musical--Tyne Daly, Bette Midler, Angela Lansbury (okay that was on cd). I didn't see Bernadette Peters do it on Broadway in 2004, cuz Bernadette Peters as Mama Rose, that just didn't seem right.



6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll ask if pace makers can in fact be "recycled" for less fortunate
patients, or if it's just scrap metal?

Yes..... Bernadette is a waif, not a broad....

BTW, how's it going on the house thing? Let's by this one instead?
http://www.christiesgreatestates.com/properties/view_29812/


Chen

Anonymous said...

Too bad you didn't find anything fun @ the funeral home. Did you
remember to ask about silver/mercury fillings?

I DID see Bernadette.... She was pretty good, but I think the role
almost requires someone to be more physically substantial...... She was
just too waify!

RJ said...

Mama Rose is a broad. Bernadette Peters aint no broad.

Anonymous said...

Your adventures continue to amaze me, as usual. Love the tea and funeral story.

Nancybe

Heather H. said...

Intriguing update...
I'm normally a coffee drinker, but I've had a thing for plain red chai tea lately...but then I always like a little spice now and then.

hugs,
Heather H.

Giulia said...

So they're worried about sabotage in the Atlanta underground, eh? Who wudda thunk it! Live and learn.